Everybody who ever wanted to write a “successful website” (or more recently, thanks to the Web 2.0 hype, a “successful blog”) knows the bless and curse of crawlers, or bots, that are unleashed by all kind of entities to scan the web, and report the content back to their owners. Most of these crawlers are handled by search engines, such as Google, Microsoft Live Search, Yahoo! and so on. With the widespread use of feeds, at least Google and Yahoo! added to their standard crawler bots also feed-specific crawlers that are used to aggregate blogs and other feeds into nice interfaces for their users (think Google Reader). Together with this kind of crawlers, though, there are less useful, sometimes nastier […]
Recently while creating AXANT Labs we decided to put inside the page a little RSS aggregator which should mix news from our projects, at first we took a look at Planet, but it was a bit too big for our needing so we developed this short RSS feed reader using Universal Feed Parser. I’m sharing this as the sources are really compact and might be useful in other situations import feedparser, operator, time feeds = (“http://blog.axant.it/feed”, “http://www.lscube.org/rss.xml”) feeds = map(lambda x : feedparser.parse(x).entries, feeds) feeds = reduce(operator.concat, feeds) feeds = sorted(feeds, lambda x,y : cmp(y.date_parsed, x.date_parsed)) for entry in feeds: print ‘%s (%s) -> %s’ % (entry.title, time.strftime(“%Y-%m-%d %H:%M”, entry.date_parsed), entry.description)
With our experience as Gentoo developers, me and Luca have had experience with a wide range of build systems; while there are obvious degrees of goodness/badness in build system worlds, we express our preference for autotools over most of the custom build systems, and especially over cmake-based build systems, that seem to be high on the tide thanks to KDE in the last two years. I have recently written my views on build systems: in which I explain why I dislike CMake and why I don’t mind it when it is replacing a very-custom bad build system. The one reason I gave for using CMake is the lack of support for Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler, which is needed by some […]
Recently has been found out that Microsoft has a whitelist of processes than can run with administrative privileges to prevent bothering the user with UAC when the software should be secure. While this might be a nice thing to do, I don’t really understand why notepad.exe, mspaint.exe and calc.exe would require administrative rights o_O Also, as the FileOpen dialog from Microsoft permits to modify the file system, I think that it might not be a good idea to give administrative rights for free to software that opens files using it (like notepad and mspaint). You would say that the solution is simple: just remove software that access the file system from that white list and you will prevent the user […]
I’m glad to say that finally we decided to create labs.axant.it to have a common join point between all our projects. Labs will have news about every project where we are working on and also news from our blog. Take a look at that if you are a lscube or pyhp user, you might find interesting news about the project you are following.
Lately I have tried to use Sprox with Elixir. First of all I have to thank percious. He is incredibly reliable and helpful. There is actually a bug in sprox that makes him threat one-to-many relationships as one-to-one relationships and makes it show a single selection field instead of a multiple selection field. This can be avoided changing the field type to sprox.widgets.PropertyMultipleSelectField but percious has been so kind to fix it on the fly while I was testing the problem for him and now sprox correctly detects the field type by default. Bad enough there is a big problem with Elixir. As Sprox probably creates internal instances of the Entity you pass to him this causes an undesidered behaviour. […]
I had to spend some time to permit to a project of ours to use Elixir inside TG2. Maybe someone with more experience than me might have a better answer, but I have been able to make Elixir work this way: First of all I had to make Elixir use my TG2 metadata and session by adding to each model file that has a class inheriting from elixir.Entity this line: from project_name.model import metadata as __metadata__, DBSession as __session__ Then I had to switch to model __init__.py and add elixir.setup_all() to init_model function just after DBSession.configure. This is really important as makes Elixir create all the SQLAlchemy tables and without this you won’t see anything happen for your elixir based […]